What causes severe pain in the jaw?
Please provide more details.
Thanks for the query..
Pain in jaw can be due to a number of causes so please provide following details so that I can guide you better:
1. Is the pain on both sides of the jaw?
2. Is it in both upper and lower jaw?
3. Is the pain also present in front of the ear?
4. Since how long is the pain present?
5. Is there any swelling also present?
6. Is there any difficulty in mouth opening?
7.Do you have any clicking or popping sound on opening and closing the jaw?
8.Do you have any decayed tooth?
9.Do you have pain elsewhere also like shoulder, arm, upper back?
10. Do you have any medical problems or are you on any medication?
Please revert back..
2 on both upper and lower
3 pain is in front of ear
4 it woke me up around 12 am
5 a little bit of swelling
6I am having difficulty opening my mouth with having pain in the cornor of jaw
7 no noise
8 I have a broken tooth
9 no other pain
10 Heart, on medication-
Needs a clinical examination by a Dentist.
Thanks for the reply,
It can be either related to any decayed or that broken tooth or due to jaw joint related problem..
So for confirmation, a clinical examination should be done.
Also, a panoramic X-ray should be done for further evaluation.
Once the cause is confirmed treatment can be done accordingly.
For now, you can do cool compresses over the swelling.
Take pain relievers after consulting a Physician or Emergency room (Tylenol will be a better choice than Aspirin)...
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe pain in bladder and penis
- What causes severe pain in testicles
- What causes severe pain in anterior and lateral of thigh
- What causes sever pain in the abdomen
- What causes severe pain in lower thoracic area
- What causes severe pain in heels
- What causes severe pain in elbows
- What causes severe pain from back to arm
- What causes severe pain in lower jaw bone
- What is the cause of severe pain in the legs
- Suggest treatment for radiating pain in jaw
- Suggest treatment for raised bumps on tongue
- What causes cramps and weakness post intake of Clindamycin and Oxycodone?
- Is Tylenol advisable for pain while on Ramipril and Atorvastatin?
- What causes gum sensitivity along with puffiness and sensitivity inside...
- What causes a painless patch inside the left cheek?
- What causes bleeding gums while brushing?
- What causes lower front teeth pain and bleeding gums while on Storvas?
- What causes severe tooth pain post a root canal?
- Suggest remedies for dental abscess