What causes severe pain in the groin area?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I am having real bad pain in my groin that is shooting down to my left knee.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is it acute in onset?

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I would like to know some details to guide you further-
1)Since when are you having it?Is it acute in onset?
2)How did it start?any injury?
3)Any tingling, numbness or abnormal sensations in left leg?
4)Do you have any known disease?

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with further details so that I can answer this well further.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 7 hours later
It has been going on for a few years now. It used to come and go. But for the past few months it has been bothering me almost everyday. A few weeks ago I noticed my left knee started to hurt a lot worse than it normally did. Sometimes my leg will go completely numb from the knee down. It does tingle a little sometimes. I don't have any diseases
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurological examination/Nerve conduction study.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up and providing further details.

Numbness of left leg radiating down the knee along with tingling, mandates a physical examination by a neurologist to see if it is a nerve related issue.
Further, Nerve conduction study of lower limbs may be helpful in diagnosing the condition.

Also, an orthopaedic's opinion regarding knee pain will be of value. A x-ray of knee may be done along with inflammatory markers like ESR/CRP/RA.

I suggest you to visit a neurologist in person for the sake of diagnosis.
Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)