• question-icon

What causes severe pain in the foot?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having severe, sharp, pain in my foot. The pain is present when I am standing and walking. It will go away when I am off my feet. I can move my foot while I am sitting with minimal discomfort, except in one direction. This is not an ongoing issue, but sudden onset. However, I cannot identify a specific situation that I can attribute the pain. Any suggestions on what may be causing the pain?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Freiberg disease vs Stress fractures

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

It is possible that you may be having a problem with your second metatarsal head of your 2nd toe region. This is called Freiberg disease, where there is death of a part of the bone. Other cause could be stress fractures.

It would be helpful to get an Xray of the foot in AP and oblique planes to confirm.

Use silicone pass under the foot in your footwear. UAE Microcellular rubber Slippers . Pain killers should help. Avoid weight bearing on the affected side.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
I have had the pain for about 24 hours, so i am guessing an xray is my next option??

I have been running and hiking my entire life and the pain came the morning after a hike. Again, I cannot pinpoint a moment when I twisted my ankle or foot that would account for the pain.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exact site of pain

Detailed Answer:
Can you tell me where exactly you have the pain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 36 minutes later
Just below the ankle in the foot. Not in the heel, but towards the toes. Whatever that bone/area that is... hope that is helpful.
I apologize, I used "that" too much in my last response.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get an Xray

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.

Do go ahead with the foot Xray in AP and Oblique views and upload for my review.
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon