What causes severe pain in the buttocks while treating rheumatoid arthritis?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having moderate to severe pain in the right buttock. It is a burning sensation. Also am having the same problem down the middle and to the right inner thigh (front). It goes down to the knee and down shin bone. This is a new pain. No falls or injury. I've had rheumatoid arthritis, diagnosed when I was 17.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sciatica?

Detailed Answer:

the distribution of the pain makes sciatica the most likely diagnosis. A slipped intervertebral disc is commonly the problem. The X-ray cannot detect a slipped disc but it may detect other types of bone lesions. A CT-scan may detect almost all bone lesions and MRI may detect nerve root compression (and prove the assumption of sciatica).

You should visit an orthopedics specialist for clinical examination which is very important in such a case and appropriate testing, depending on clinical findings. Rheumatoid arthritis does not seem relevant in your case.

Kind Regards!