What causes severe pain in the buttock muscles?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Woke up Thursday with tremendos pain in my butt ox muscles had hard time going down stairs Have only eaten barley nothing since Thursday Have chills when I come in side house (A/C) Spent almost 20 hours in bed Thursday Still VERY VERY tired Now hav a bid red rash on BUTT OX
I Feel Like I could throw up after eating small yogart but I don't when I get chills have have big time shakes I really fell very poorly I'm in very good health Have
physical one a year and take no drugs for health issues I take the following each day Baby Asperian
Clarition
Flax seed Oil
Fish Oil
Over 50 Multiple Vitiam
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sserious symptoms

Detailed Answer:
of course I cannot diagnose evaluate or treat without being there. but these are signs of a serious to overwhelming infection that needs to be seen and treated immediitely
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 25 minutes later
Went to urgent care doctor he thinks shingles even though I had vaccine thinks serious. To
mild case prescription were prednisone 20 mg 2 times a day for 5 days and valACYclovir for 7 days. Question would you recommend see my dermatologist by Tuesday
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cannot say

Detailed Answer:
And, if the white count is entirely normal it makes a serious overwhelming infection quite unlikely (but doesn't rule out shingles at all). Shingles has a very particular type of rash in how it looks (chicken pox) and where it occurs (in one line, running along the path of one nerve). If the rash is shingles, it's shingles, and there really aren't other possibilities. IN theory, the shingles rash, like any skin break, can allow for a skin infection from germs that can get in through the break in the skin and this would require antibiotics different from what you were given (in addition TO what you were given antibiotics would also be needed if there is a skin infection with bacteria).

If it definitely is shingles and nothing else going on, and the ER physician might really be able to tell this (and probably can and did find exactly this) then I can't think of anything to this particular condition a dermatologist would find any different.