Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What causes severe pain in the base of skull?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10450 Questions
I have been having pain in back of head where it meets spine, for 12 yrs. Around the time I had a water skiing accident, where I was yanked forward and flipped across water. I felt paralyzed for moments after then soreness in neck for a few days. I am only 30 yrs old and have been seeing dr about this for 10yrs. 6 of which have been actively receiving treatments and having tests done. I have had more CAT scans and MRI's than I can count. I have had physical therapy (2x wk for12 wks) numerous injections and blocks and been on every medication imaginable! Nothing has worked to lessen the pain but pain medication. The pain I experience on a daily basis is so excruciating and debilitating that I can't function! I have the feeling of pressure behind my eyes, pain in temple and jaw and just under the base of my skull, as we'll as in my shoulders and neck. I used to have perfect posture, now my head seems to sit forward too far. I find myself slouching or laying back in chair to take pressure away (which I know only exasterbates the problem) but I can't tolerate any other way. Drs don't seem to think I should be having this much pain from bulging disc. Could they be missing something on MRI? Would a positional MRI reveal more? I should also mention I had high spinal fluid pressure at one time, which was drained, and don't know the cause for. Recently I have low white blood count and spouts of low or high blood pressure. What could be going on? How can I get drs to find the real problem and take me serious? And most important, how do I get some relief?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to neurological cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The chronic pain that you are having with all the normal investigation reports is likely to be due to a neurological cause. A positional RI and EEG can help in revealing some neurological problem. You need to consult a neurologist. medicines like Gabpentin and Pregabalin ay help you to some extent. A bulging disc is not likely to cause a pain in the temples or base of the skull like you are having. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor