question-icon

What causes severe pain in stomach and back?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: 3 weeks ago i started having severe back pain. I went to a hospital and was given heat therepy and some medicine that didn't help a thing.
Now 2 days ago I have severe stomach pains. I can't get out of bed of stand up from sitiing without help.

none now
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Spine disc herniation can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Back pain and stomach pain can be both caused by kidneys infection. Especially if you have also frequent urinating, burning while urinating, some lower abdominal pain.
Spine disc herniation is also very possible. In some cases, physical therapy is not enough. If you have been also taking painkillers recently, this might be the reason of stomach pain.

I suggest you to consult orthopedist, have physical examination and consider spine MRI. In some cases, surgery is the best choice.

If you find the stomach to be caused by painkillers, Omeprazole 20 mgs once a day should be started.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon