What causes severe pain in lower lumbar region after falling on buttocks?

Dr. Pankaj Borade

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thank you Monday night I got up to use bathroom. My feet got tangled and I had a hard fall on m
buttocks, I have now had pain since the fall in muscles on each side of lower lumbar. When I am completely supie and try to get up I experience painful spasims in these mucles tht cause me to cry. I just had x rays and had to lie flat on the metal table. When I tried to roll on my left side for more studies I again experience this severe cramping,. I did not have thes symptoms for three days after fall. Help my email is YYYY@YYYY

1
Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to investigate for spine injury

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM
It is important to consider any spine injury here.
A fall on buttocks, high age, difficulty in getting up from supine position is suggestive of spine injury.
However, it is only a suspicion and investigation only can confirm the condition.
A back ache while bending forward, or on prolonged sitting if any, further supports the back injury condition.

Anyhow, it is imperative to undergo investigations to rule out spine injury.
An X ray Spine or Best an MRI spine, is advisable.
A consultation to orthopedician is advisable as one will need to undergo a proper physical examination. Also covert injuries to other structures also needs to be checked.
Meanwhile you can continue taking ibuprofen as required.
Take precautions to avoid strenous activities untill a diagnosis ruled out.

Welcome for further suggestions.
Dr Pankaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T