What causes severe pain in lower back, numbness in left leg and foot?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, for the last three weeks I have been suffering with severe pain in my lower back, and on the left side of the hip area. The pain is so intense that it causes pain that I feel in the left leg with numbness in my left foot. This causes three of my toes to get numb when I walk or stand for fifteen minutes and sometimes less. The pain also keeps me awake at night and I am at puzzled as to what might be causing this level of pain, and stagnation with my walking.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely sciatica caused by lumbo sacral disc problems.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. From your distribution of pain and numbness it is most likely due to sciatica caused by lumbo sacral disc problems. This is caused by nerve compression or irritation by bulging or damaged intervertebral disc. A physical examination by orthopedician followed by X ray and MRI will be helpful to rule out this.

In such case if you were my patient then i would suggest taking NSAIDs like aceclofenac, muscle relaxants like tizanidine and neurotropic drugs like gabapentin & methylcobalamin. I also send you to physiotherapist for procedures like TENS, ultrasound and massage. Inititial 1 week bed rest is advised. You should also wear lumbar supporting corsets all day. After that your physiotherapists will teach you how to do muscle strengthening exercises. Hot fomentation with help of some one, heating pad or infrared is good. You can also apply Gels containing NSAIDs like ketoprofen or diclofenac for local application.

Most of the cases will find improvement in 4 weeks with proper conservative therapy aphysiotherapyhy

A consultation with orthopedician and physiotherapist is well appreciated.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Thank-you! Based on previous MRI & X-RAYS, in addition to Pain Management treatment - I know that your diagnosis is correct. I will be sure to follow-up with my Orthopedic Surgeon as soon as possible and share your diagnosis for further treatment.

Thanks Again, XXXXXXX Biggs Bullock
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Let me know if you have any follow up or further queries.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina