What causes severe pain in lower abdomen?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: my wife has a low bp generally she is a thal minor.she had severe pain in the stomach below the navel at 3.30 in the night it was churning but feeling of
lose motion but she didnt pass any.and had fever 101.5 she then had devian80 and pantocid in the morning the pain was better but at the doc the bp was 90/60 and fever 99.he gave her refagut.when she ate that after that she had fever 101.5 and had crocin after that her fever went to 102.7it XXXXXXX she again had crocin but it hasn't fallen what should be the line of action do u think it can be dengue.what diet shud she follow and test..
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She should go for investigation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
She has persistent fever and not responding to routine dosage of paracetamol.
She may have some infection like dengue, malaria or other bacterial or viral infection.
She should go for complete blood count and urine examination.
It will give some idea about cause. Then she should investigate further and take treatment according to diagnosis.

Till that she can take tablet dolo according to her doctor's advice.
Drink plenty of fluid orally. If she can not take oral fluid then intravenous normal saline can be given.

Please give me follow up with her reports so that I can help you further.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. i will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 17 hours later
Hello sir.we haven't got any blood test done till now.she had 101.5 fever in the night without crocin.then in the morning it was 99.5 when she got up and now it's gone.its been 5 hrs without fever.she is having vertigo and weakness.she hasn't passed any motion since 3 days now.and is having occasional pain in the tummy.with gas at times.please suggest.diet also?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bland diet with plenty of fluid orally.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. She has intermittent fever.She has vertigo with occasional pain in abdomen. She need blood test once.

She should go for complete blood count and test for malaria. Then from that reports further investigations should be done.

She should take bland diet. Avoid spicy and oily food. Drink plenty of water and fruit juice orally. No any other specific diet is required.

Hope I have answered your question. If you still have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 36 hours later
Sir our physician didn't get the any blood test done and my wife has been wife with the fear since 2 days she hasn't had any fever.but she is having regular spasms in her stomach on and off.specially when she it's something semi solid.please suggest something for that.she also complained of severe headache when she got up to check on our kid at night.could that be low bp.because when she lied down she was fine.what treatment shud we do for this.or what could it be.the headache was very very severe.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
She may have headache due to orthostatic hypotension.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
She has hypotension due to sudden change in position from lying down to standing.

It is called as orthostatic hypotension. Headache may occur due to this.

She should check her blood pressure in lying down position and standing position. If difference is more than 20mmhg then it confirm the orthostatic hypotension.
It can be caused by low blood volume, anemia, dehydration and some disease also.

Treatmenthas slight evidence. Compression bandage and drug like midodrine can be useful.

For abdominal pain she needs investigation. She should go for ultrasound examination once. She also need complete blood count.

Consult your doctor and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 12 hours later
We got ultrasound it's all ok.does she need blood investigation?she doesn't have any dizziness now.the only problem is churning and a sensation of motion.but she is not passing any stool.the only stool she passed day before was very constipated.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound abdomen is normal then its ok.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. If her ultrasound abdomen test is normal then no need to worry. For constipation she can take laxative like bisacodyle. She should drink plenty of water with high fiber diet. One teaspoon of isapgul with water or milk at night is helpful.

If she don't have fever or headache now then no other investigations are required. If she has fever or headache then its required.