What causes severe pain in leg, knee and joints, loss of appetite and exhaustion?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi ,My dad was operated for aneurysm around 12 years back and he is under medication for high blood pressure..He is recently diabetic and consumes alcohol too though he quit smoking.For the last two years he has got severe leg pain ,joint pain and knee pain in his legs.He has limited his food intake too.He gets tired and exhausted quite often.Please suggest to increase his appetite and reduce his. alcohol consumption.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
I appreciate your concern for your dad.
Since he has been having high blood pressure, diabetes and a vascular disease , he requires to be investigated in detail. He may be having a kidney failure, vitamin deficiencies due to the same and alcoholism. To stop alcoholism, he may have to have a multidisciplinary approach involving psychotherapy, medicines to combat withdrawal symptoms and good family support on the emotional front. It would be good to get involved in a good rehabilitation program. You can contact the local AA group and they will support and guide you.
Loss of appetite may be due to gastritis from alcoholism or from renal impairment. With correction of the underlying problems, it would improve. Appetite can be stimulated with cyproheptidine also.