What causes severe pain in esophagus while on Losartan?
I would recommend as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I understand your concern, and would explain that it is true that some anti-hypertensive drugs can exacerbate gastro-esophageal reflux.
Blood pressure medications such as calcium channel blockers or beta blockers work by relaxing the blood vessels. However, they also relax the smooth muscles of the digestive tract and delay the passage of food through the stomach. Examples include nifedipine, amlodipine, verapamil, diltiazem, nadolol, atenolol, propranolol,etc..
Potassium supplements, including Losartan Potassium, which contains potassium can cause inflammation of the esophageal mucosa, leading to heartburn.
Coming to this point, I would recommend trying another ARB drug like Valsartan or an ACEI drug like enalapril, ramipril, etc. Hydroclorothiazide would be another treatment option.
I recommend discussing with your attending physician on these treatment options.
Meanwhile, I would recommend some lifestyle modifications to help you maintain a normal blood pressure:
- diet modifications (low salt and caffeine intake. Mediterranean diet would be really helpful).
- perform a lot of physical activity
- lose some weight, if you are overweight.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe pain in bladder and penis
- What causes severe pain in testicles
- What causes severe pain in anterior and lateral of thigh
- What causes sever pain in the abdomen
- What causes severe pain inside thighs while kicking
- What causes severe pain in heels
- What causes severe pain in elbows
- What causes severe pain from back to arm
- What causes severe pain in lower jaw bone
- What is the cause of severe pain in the legs