What causes severe pain in elbow?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have shooting pain in my elbow. Last only a second but very sharp
Does not happen every day. Just random times
I have also had a knee pain for a month. I had my knee x rayed and no damage was shown. Dr said to take 2 eleve twice a day.
Could knee and elbow be related ?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Elbow pain can be due to nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
ELBOW pain which is severe can be due to nerve compression or tennis elbow disease.
You may require clinical examination and further investigation.
EMG NCV study will help in nerve compression.
Your knee pain may not be related to elbow pain.
knee pain can be due to age related osteoarthritis.
Methylcobalamine 1500 mcg and neurotropic medication like pregabalin can be started after consulting your doctor.
Physiotherapy plays important role in treatment.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju