• question-icon

What causes severe pain in back, ribs, neck and shortness of breath?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have pain in my back under my top ribs that is making me short of breath...the pain is like fire and has sharp shooting pains into my neck and rest of my back. It comes on at night, and is making the skin sore to the touch...the pain is intense. I have not done anything to injur this area. This occurred once in January, and again the last 2 nights...only time in my life. I am a 48 year old female with no other medical issues.

The pain is only on the right side. It is not on the surface/skin area, it feels like it is under the ribs, near the armpit area (down from the armpit by 5-6 inches).
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely gastric discomfort. Needs work up

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

i read your question and i understand your concern. Pain in middle back and below ribs with armpits radiating to neck only at night with no prior trauma or injury history and no heart problem with two such episodes in january are likely a gastric discomfort like gastritis / inflammation of posterior stomach, gall bladder issue like stones or inflammation or pancreas inflammation. Acid reflux may also present this way.

Any how i would like you to get evaluated for the pain, a good start will be an ekg to rule out heart problem followed by gallbladder and pancreas profile and ultrasound of abdomen . If all comes clean then its gastritis and that will need antacids, some diet and lifestyle modifications and compliance with antacids medications. Talk to your doctor and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan