What causes severe pain from arm to shoulder blade?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
severe pain running down my left arm into hand starting from behind my left shoulder blade. had an injection of epidural in my neck c5-c7 two days ago and pain has gotten much worse. I have had a mri of my neck and it did show a herniation. I am not a doctor, however, I remember the incident when I was playing tug rope with my yellow lab where I felt when I think the problem began. Could this really be a shoulder problem or a tear of my legiment?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be pinched nerve in the neck.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and the MRI spine findings.

The symptoms are more suggestive of a pinched nerve in the neck (cervical region), which causes pain in the neck, shoulder region, arm or hand.

A shoulder problem or ligament tear can cause pain in the shoulder region, but pain would not radiate to the arm or hand in those cases.

You should start pregabalin or gabapentin capsules, which would relieve your nerve-related pain.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist