What causes severe pain behind thigh radiating to calf?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been having severe pain in the back of my thigh and behind my knee into my calf. I also have a callous on my next to little toe under my foot. Have some numbness in my foot and pain in my hip joint and buttock. What is your evaluation?
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
polyarticular joint pain; follow as advised

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
What you are suffering from is a case of polyarticular joint pain i.e. a pain that involves multiple joints. It is not very uncommon in adults more than 40 years of age. But a proper diagnosis has to be made. It can be osteoarthritis, but rheumatoid arthritis and few seronegative arthritis have to be ruled out. In such patients, I generally advise the following-

Avoiding heavy weight lifting, sudden forward bending and prolonged walking or standing. Also, squatting and crossed legged sitting has to be avoided.
An xray both hip AP view, xray lumbar spine AP and Lateral view and an Xray both knee standing AP and Lateral view has to be done.
Blood test for blood sugar, uric acid, RA factor, HLA-B27, urea and creatinine, complete hemogram.
Physiotherapy in the form of static quadriceps drill, straight leg rising, spinal stretching and strengthening exercises should be done, preferably after being guided by a physiotherapist.
Painkillers like aceclofenac-thiocolchicoside combination alongwith antacids may be taken to relieve pain.

You can consult the above with your treating or family doctor. You can get back to me with the reports and xrays.
And as far as the callus is concerned, using soft sole shoes and avoiding barefoot walking is important. Hot dry compression can also be given.

Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T