question-icon

What causes severe pain behind the head on lower left side?

Posted on Wed, 18 May 2016
Question: I woke with pain in one very small area early this am & have taken 800 mgs of Ibuprofen but it is getting worse all day! I can not sleep because of the pain. It is on the back of my head on the left lower side in one small spot. It is shooting pain and sore to the touch for the last 16 hours and seems to be getting worse. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a neuralgic pain.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and the pain seems to be neuropathic/neuralgic in nature (arising due to a nerve problem).

For relief, you can take either tramadol tablet or pregabalin capsule.

It should subside soon, if the scalp nerve (superficial) is affected.

If symptoms persist, a brain scan should be done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist