What causes severe pain at the base of the big toe?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello, I have medium to severe pain on the inside of my right foot . It seems to be a specific spot that I can put my finger on. There is no bruising or swelling. It hurts more when I walk and last night in bed it was throbbing and painful. 800mgs of Ibuprofen helps but does not take the pain away entirely . I am a 61 year old male and I have systemic Scleroderma but I don't know if it could be related. Last week I did stub my toe next to my big toe.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be gouty arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
The pan at the base of the big toe can be related to gouty arthritis. This can related to plantar faicitis also. X-ray of the affected area and serum uric acid levels evaluation will help n proper diagnosis.
Till then rest and pain killers will help in short term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal