• question-icon

What causes severe pain at right side of ribs?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My mom is having severe pain on right side where her ribs are located. Could this be a broken rib. She had bronchitis two weeks ago then when she went back to the doctor this week that is what she had but every time she coughs it hurts and now she can't move without it shooting pain.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pulled muscle can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Broken rib is rather not the case especially if she does not have any chronic diseases. Most likely the pain is caused by pulled muscles due to chronic coughing. If she smokes or has shortness of breath, pneumothorax can be the reason. But this condition can be ruled out with simple chest x-ray.

All she can do right now is rest and painkillers (Ibuprofen). It can take up to 3 weeks for the pain to disappear.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon