What causes severe pain around the jaw post an accident?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: my 11 year old daughter crashed on her bike received 8 stitches in the bottom of her chin last night early this morning but is now complaining it hurts to open her mouth or talk let alone eat. could she have broken her jaw?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This is beyond just a laceration of the chin

Detailed Answer:
Hello. A simple laceration and contusion of her chin wouldn't cause these symptoms. She may have either a mandible (jaw) fracture or perhaps a dislocation of her temporomandibular joint (the hinge joint of the jawbone to the skull in front of the ear). If she didn't get any x-rays of her facial bones, she needs them

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 9 minutes later
the emergency room was extremely busy last night so they did not take x rays
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Then she needs to be taken back to the ER

Detailed Answer:
Then she needs x-rays, either at an Urgent Care center or in the ER