What causes severe pain and swelling in the legs and hands?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Sudden, severe swelling and pain in almost entire body, especially my legs and points of old sprains, in hands shoulders.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need work up for any underlying acute infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, body aches can be earlier sign of any systemic infection though other causes like rheumatological or autoimmune are less likely to present at this age but possibility still exists so getting ANA levels and RA factor isn't a bad idea. Uric acid and other renal functions like urea and liver functions specialy bilirubin should also be done.

Meanwhile taking OTC analgesics like acetaminophen can be of help. Keep hydration adequate and keep a check on temperature to look for any other signs of some underlying infective process.

Getting more potent analgesics like tramadol if Advil or Tylenol can't control the pain is an option but should be reserved if symptoms persist. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T