What causes severe pain after tooth extraction?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Dental Health
Question: hi, I had a tooth extracted three says ago, the doctor dressed it the next day, saying the clot was somewhat dislodged. I felt better initially, but now have more pain. I also have a swollen eye the doc said it was an allergy. All of a sudden i have been experiencing weakness, muscle aches, sore throat and sinuses - could this be linked to dental infection? I am really worried because I am woozy. I take Lamictal, sometimes it makes me feel like I have a flu.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Pain is related to the extraction site only and can be probably due to dry socket as there is dislodged blood clot..

Before I can provide you precise information I would like to know a few more details:

-Which tooth is extracted, is it upper or lower tooth or front or back tooth?
-Do you have nasal discharge also along with sinus pain?
-Do you have any discharge coming off nose when you drink anything?
-What medication are you taking post extraction?

Please revert back..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 7 minutes later
lower jaw next to wisdom; which is removed. nasal discharge, yes. body aches, feel hot and tired. tjroat pain and stemming a bit to the ear the side of the tooth
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Well as it is lower jaw tooth, therefore sinus pain cannot be due to tooth extraction..
However the symptoms can be due to viral infection that is co-incidentally occurring after tooth extraction..

As far as pain at extraction site is concerned, you should consult your Dentist and get checked to make sure that the dressing is present intact and healing is taking place.

For now you should also start taking a course of antibiotics, painkillers and if there is nasal congestion use decongestant nasal sprays..

Hopefully the symptoms will get better in less than a week..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 13 minutes later
it is very sore throat and came on really quickly. my nose is burning and i have a bit of fever. could it jusy be common cold
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, can be.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes it can be common cold.
You can take over the counter cold medicine for relief..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 16 hours later
well, I have fever, and fatigue. eyes burn, throat does, and glands hurt; is this the common cold? my muscles feel like they are going to give out
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a blood test done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Symptoms can be due to cold or flu..
So once get a blood test done to rule out the exact cause..
You can consult an Emergency room and get checked..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 40 minutes later
what do you mean? can flu be detected via blood
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes, blood test can be done, but commonly nasal or nasopharyngeal swab can be used as a sample for detection.
So first of all you should get a clinical examination done and if there is a doubt you can proceed with testing..

Hope this helps..

Regards.