What causes severe numbness, burning feeling, pins and needles in foot?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Apr 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hi. I broke my ankle a week ago. I had surgery to repair the break. An I vision on both sides of my ankle. One plate and 8 screws. I have sever numbness, burning, tingling, pins and needles in my foot. We thought it was due to nerve compression from the splint. Today I was transitioned to a boot and still have extreme numbness pain. It's unbearable, the percocet 10 mg every 4 hours isn't touching the pain. Is this normal, how long should I expect it to last?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can be due to swelling.

Detailed Answer:
The pain and burning and numbness can be due to swelling. This will subside after the swelling subsides. You can keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting to help this.
This can also be due to a mild nerve injury. The nerve will take 6-8 weeks to heal completely. Till then the numbness can persist. This is a normal finding with injury. It will gradually subside in next few weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal