• question-icon

What causes severe neck strain?

Posted on Mon, 8 May 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have this regular neck strain in the lower neck between the shoulders. I have taken 5 sittings of physiotherapist but no improvements yet. Could you please suggest what alternatives should we go for.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take paainkillers, muscle relaxants ,and exercises.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX , I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
Regular neck strain is generally due to poor posture- like working on computers for a long time. For this physiotherapy alone is not sufficient.
I suggest pain killers, muscle relaxants , hot fomentation for few days followed by Isometric neck Exercises( strengthening exercises for the neck).Also keep stretching your neck in between working.
I hope this will resolve your problem. If not then it is advisable to consult your orthopedic surgeon.
Thanks for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon