• question-icon

What causes severe nausea, vomiting, loose stools and flank pain during pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I am 34 weeks pregnant and have been having some severe cases of nausea off and on since last week. Some days I'm fine and eat with no problems but I've had more nausea days then none and am unable to eat or drink some days. I've also had really weird bowel movements for about 5 days (I go once day). It's not watery diarrhea but super soft with very little consistency and is dark and odorless. My doctor told me my hemoglobin was really low (I think 9.9) and I'm concerned my bowel and stomach problems may be due to that. I had severe lower pelvic cramping for a few hours 3 nights ago but thought it was dehydration because I haven't been able to drink like I need to. Today I have started having sharp but mild left sided flank pain.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper investigations required

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Repeated episodes of vomiting and loose stools can be because of gastroenteritis or liver dysfunction.
Flank pain can be due dehydration leading to renal pain.
I will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist to get properly examined, investigated including ultrasound, liver and renal function test, stool examination and get appropriate treatment.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine