What causes severe muscle weakness, pain, numbness, spasms and tightness in body?

Posted on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had severe muscle weakness, pain, numbness, spasms, and tightness all over my body. I wake up and feel like my whole body is stiff, and hurts where I was lying. I also feel short of breath, and my swallowing has been strange for a year now. Like I am not really swallowing. I have had these issues on and off for a year, but I had a hysterectomy 7 weeks ago, and it really got bad, I still have my ovaries. I have had so many tests a year ago from my neurologist, MRI, EMG, spinal tap, blood work, nerve test done with needles, and everything comes back normal. I tried Lyrica, but it made me feel like I couldn't breath. I take Zoloft 150 mg, Kolonopin .5 mg, Previcid, and Percocet 10 mg a day. I was diagnosed with Esophageal spasms 5 months ago too. I feel so bad, and can't get any diagnosis. Could this be ALS but was not detected a year ago when the original EMG and nerve test was done. My reflexes are normal. Since the Lyrica didn't work I don't thin it's Fibromyalgia.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
The reports need to be carefully analysed and coordinated clinically.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided. There are a few diseases that need to be excluded. The problem should like anywhere between your central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), nerves, neuromuscular junctions to the muscles. I do not think that Amyotropic lateral sclerosis (ALS) would be the cause. Going by the details, neuromuscular junction problems or muscular causes seem more likely. There are chances of other causes like mixed connective tissue disorders.

The reports need to be carefully analysed and coordinated clinically. I doubt if there is a scope for the same here. Still, it would be helpful if you could mention the findings of the investigations or upload them using the facility at the upper right of this page. I also need to know about the onset of the symptoms and the progress over a period of time.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 33 minutes later
All anti bodies were checked, and my doctor checked for all diseases that had letters associated with it. No cancers were detected either. My symptoms started with weakness a year ago. I had been on Valuim for several years for panic disorder, and I stopped taking the medication. Then I started having the swallowing issues and had my esophagus dilated. I have had this procedure twice in the past 5 years. What other information can I provide you? I find it odd that this pain severe weakness and numbness came on strong about 4 weeks after my hysterectomy.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can upload discharge summaries or any other summary documents

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to respond back earlier.

Do you have some doctor's note summarizing the medical findings as well as the reports in brief? I would insist you to upload whatever you feel relevant. From my side it is difficult to ask specifically without knowing the specific details of the case.

As mentioned earlier, I have already expressed that the problem seems to be in the neuromuscular junction or the muscles themselves. Any information in that direction would be helpful.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha