question-icon

What causes severe muscle pain in calf?

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: I have dysautonomia. Lately I have been severe muscle pain in both calf muscles. At times it is hard to walk. In the past, I've had neck and shoulder pain and what my doctor calls inflammation of the ligaments, knees, elbows, hands, middle of upper back. Is this kind of pain associated with dysautonomia?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Dysautonomia can be due to diabetes.
Pain and aches in muscle and body can be due to many reasons in presence of diabetes , hypertension , dyslipidemia, hypothyroidism.
Drugs prescribed may lead to muscular pain and weakness(Lipitor) and electrolyte imbalances.
You should get investigated for vitamin B12, vitamin D levels along with sodium and potassium.
For treatment you can take antioxidants supplements, fluids and multivitamin supplements.
Pregabalin, gabapentin , amitriptyline and milnacipran may be helpful.
Possibility of such pain due to dysautonomia only is less likely.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist