What causes severe muscle cramps in legs and hips while walking?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Ok I have a question. My husband suffers from severe muscle cramps in his legs and side. Lately, this has been followed by, after walking around for awhile, he gets very cold and gets the shivers. What is going on, any idea?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Electrolyte imbalance

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Electrolyte imbalance in the body is most often associated with cramps, especially after exercise.

Imbalance in calcium or sodium can cause these symptoms. Please get him investigated for the same. If you could tell me the list of medication he is on I can tell whether or not it is because of the drugs he is on.

Please do not ignore this matter, approach a GP as soon as possible

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
We have thought of that, he drinks plenty of water and takes supplements. What would cause an electrolite imbalance other than exercise?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Loss of sodium

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

The most common electrolyte disturbances after exercise are that of sodium and potassium.
Both these electrolytes tend to be lost while sweating.
The other causes of electrolyte disturbances are
1. Malignancy
2. plasma cell disorders
3. drugs especially diuretics
4. chronic kidney disease
5. infections especially gastroenteritis

The listed causes are the most common reasons for electrolyte imbalance.

I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call at my hospital.