What causes severe mucus, difficulty swallowing, chest tightness and heart burn?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 4 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For the past several years I have suffered from severe mucus, that cause a lot of swallowing. It is really bad when I lie down, and sometimes I have to get up so I can breathe, it about chokes me at times. In the morning my chest is tight from the build up. It is worse after I eat... wonder at times if I have a food allergy. I don't just have it when I lie down... it hits my when I standing and sitting also. I don't have heartburn.... but I do so much swallowing it makes my stomach bloated:( I am ready for some help with this.... its so miserable!!!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
This requires further investigation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The source of this mucus has to be identified.

2. Get a thorough examination and a prescription for an anti-allergic , mucolytic, anti-inflammatory, anti-reflux medication. LPR (Laryngo-Pharyngeal Reflux) does not have heartburn.

3. Investigations include getting an examination and culture of the mucus (sputum/ phlegm) for 3 consecutive days. A plain Sinus CT , a Chest X-ray and Lung Function Tests should be done. Routine blood investigations and a Videolaryngoscopy (VL'Scopy) are required.

4. It is a good idea to test for Food Allergy (IgE) and Intolerance (IgG). Thus can be done as Skin Prick Tests (such as AllergoSPT) and blood tests (such as AllergoDip, Food Detective and Food Print).

5. Sleep apnea / mouth breathing should also be ruled out. What is your BMI (Body Mass Index)?

6. Upload these test results for further discussion on treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later
Thanks for all the information.... could you give me an idea what all that would cost? what kind of specialist is recommended to see?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The sputum culture should be done first followed by medication.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. These tests have to be done step by step and not all at once.

2. First get a prescription of medication as suggested above.

3. The first test should be the sputum culture which is not expensive.

4. Depending upon the response to medication, these rest of the tests can be scheduled by your doctor.

Regards.