Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What causes severe menstrual cramps due to fallopian tube filled with fluid and is this serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I had an ultrasound for severe menstral cramps and was told my fallopian tube was filled with fluid and im quite concerned
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: hydrosalpin Detailed Answer: Hello Cassendra, the condition you have is called hydrosalpinx. The tubes get swollen woth fluid or blood or pus. Usually this occurs due to infection. The treatment is usually antibiotics to clear the infection. In severe cases surgery is required to drain the fluid.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes severe menstrual cramps due to fallopian tube filled with fluid and is this serious? 1 minute later
I have had these symptoms since I was 13, and have had regular yearly sti checks which have always been clear. the tube was measured at 2cm enlarged
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: 2cm is significant Detailed Answer: This kind of problem doesnt occur due to stis. Upper genital tract infection causes this. Have your doctor rule out tuberculosis first. This is long standing infection. Had to have happened over months. The tube is quite swollen. I would suggest a course of Tantibiotics first if TB has been ruled out. Then reassess with ultrasound again.THere could be a block somewhere also causing the swollen tube. Get an xray also.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor