What causes severe lower back pain?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I currently am suffering from massive lower back pain. When I make even the smallest movements, sitting or when trying to stand there is almost always even greater acute pain, like an electric shock in the lower back area that seems to stem from the right and left side just a few centimeters above where hip and spine join. There is a very sore spot just below this area. I am 52 yrs of age and never been 'ill' for the past 15 years, live in a mountain area and walk a 5 - 6 kilometers with nordic poles 4 times a week on average. My diet is very healthy. I had dinner last Wednesday night in the city and fell very sick. 18 hours later, with my stomach very bloated I finally 'lost' everything from all ends. I had developed cramps a bit all over my body and a strong, but not severe, headache (which I never have). In the past 48 hours I have returned to a normal diet, drinking good liquids, etc.. but the back pain is very strong to the point I almost fall over when I stand or move. It is like a massive cramp that does not want to subside. I have had some back pain that seems to have been settling in over the years which I have blamed on a mix of irregular exercise, age, stress that is accentuated from intermittent strong physical activity of a carpenter. Thank you if you can help in any way. Kind regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Strong contractur most likely, disc or bone problem needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

this can be a strong muscular contracture of the lower spine. However, if i were your doctor, with your work history, a disc or bone condition would be advisable to be ruled out by x ray and possibly mri of the lower spine.

Therapy mostly includes Ibuprofen or similar NSAID medication, local warmth application, potentially local injections an if this persists physical therapy.

Your stomach problem episode has had very likely no direct link to the back pain problem.

Hope this is helping you , if you have any clarificatons you can get back to me, if this was helpful please kindly rate my answer. Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff