• question-icon

What causes severe lower back pain after lumbar puncture procedure?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: A month and a half ago I had my 17th lumbar puncture. My lower back started hurting right after. I figured it was a side effect of the LP and I could "walk it off". Three weeks later it became unbearable and the act of sitting, standing and lying down became so painful I was panicking and losing my breathe. Finally called 911 and went to the hospital. They did an MRI (with and without contrast) and saw my L4 and L5 showed swelling, discitis, and thickening of the derum (spelling?). They did a bone biopsy to rule out infection and now the only answer I can get is "I don't know, here try this drug." I cannot live like this. I can't go to the bathroom on my own. I cannot get out of bed on my own. I can't sit at the table and have a family dinner. The pain is excruciating and the drugs don't help. I'm at a loss. I am 31 year old mother of two and this cannot be my life. Do you have any ideas on what this could be? How to help the pain? Anything?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscle relaxants and pregabalin will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The pain that you have is due to inflammation of the disc due to the puncture. The inflammation and swelling can cause a mild compression on the nerve roots causing the pain. To have a relief use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants to relieve pain and muscle spasm, after getting these prescribed from your physician. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain. You can consult a neurophysician and get antibiotics also prescribed if needed.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 minutes later
I understand that, but shouldnt there be some relief after a month and a half? And i was taking Aleve, and now i am taking more meds prescribed by the doctors, and i am finding no reielf at all. I am frustrated because i can do nothing by myself anymore and the pain doesnt stop.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregabalin can help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain should have subsided by now. The persistent pain can be related to neural factor. In such cases oral muscle relaxants and pregabalin helps.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon