What causes severe lower back and leg pain while treating groin abscess?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 2 Mar 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I went to my Dr. about this abcess on my leg and so they lanced it and packed with gauze, also they did a small incision to let it drain put me on augmention
But I have been having really bad lower back pain on both sides, and also my legs feel like anytime I move wrong then I will get XXXXXXX horse. When I went to the Dr the other day and asked him about it after the blood work was done he said my sodium levels were very low. And like I said my sodium was bottoming out.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
?PID with Groin Abscess with Low back ache / Under assessment

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-PID with Groin Abscess with Low back ache / Under assessment
Hi Dear !!Thanks for your query to HCM.
Read your query facts and reviewed it in context to your query.
Cause of Pain in lower Back and In legs-
Based on facts of your query -this seems to be from -
Pelvic Infection Disease causing low back ache, but the leg pains seem to be from ?accompanied Sciatica / or from Muscle cramps(Charlie horse ) from low sodium as checked by your doctor .

Other causes of such complaints needs to be ruled out by Second opinion from your doctor and by needful Potassium levels / and Colour Doppler Study of Leg veins- to rule out any accompanied Varicose Veins of leg.
Kidney infections need to be ruled out by KUB and urinalysis,as you being lady, and being diabetic, more chances are there , but it would cause lumbar pain and not the lower back pain as complained in your query.
Kidney failure does not seem to be a cause for your lower back ache.
This low back ache mostly seems to be from -Pelvic infection disease-common in ladies.
So all these facts need to be ruled out by Gynec doctor check up and supported by Second opinion from orthopedic Surgeon.

Remedy suggested-
Besides review of drugs for control of your high blood pressure,Diabetic proper control is to be kept,as you have accompanied PID and groin abscess lately drained by your doctor.
Addition of Metronidazole with Augmentin would control infection and would control diabetic more effectively and early also.
Review of doses of Lisinopril for high bp is to be done with your Physician.
Puting on Inj Insulin could control this XXXXXXX horses pains in legs with correction of anti hypertension medicines and proper fluid infusions with N-Saline.
Hope this would help you to resolve the anxieties you have.
Also this would help you to plan further care in this case.

Keep Me updated with any more information in next session.
Welcome for any further query in this regard.

Good Day !!

Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist.
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee