• question-icon

What causes severe lower back and abdominal pain?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Good day.
In 2015 I noticed terrible pain while having sex and also when I urinate I was feeling pain. At this time I had a bladder infection and was on medication for this. I went to a doctor in that same year to check what was going on and the doctor did a physical examination where he applied pressure on both sides and I felt pain on the right side. He then explained that it could be a cyst on my fallopian tube or the fallopian tube could be infected so he gave me a referral to do an HSG test and prescribed medication for the bladder infection. Based on the HSG report I was told that I have a blocked tube due to an infection and I was given medication to clear it up. The doctor swabbed my vagina and conducted STD tests as well as blood test all of which came back normal. The doctor also advised me to take herbal products to clear the blocked tube. I used Herbal Life products and after a while the pain was coming and going. I was referred to gynecologists and they examined me and did a paps mear all of which came back normal. I have been visiting alot of gynecologists but i am not getting any closer to seeing results. In 2016 a gynecologists told me I have hormone problems and I was given medications for this. The medication brought on a bad feeling so i stopped taking them. I have been taking regular pain killers to deal with the pain. I am still struggling with this pain and not sure what to do or what is really happening to me. I feel severe back pain and pain right around my lower abdomen and I still get severe pain during sex. I feel as if I cannot hold my urine at times and the pain is almost like it is ontop of my bladder. Can you please advise me on what could be causing such pains and suggest an intervention plan based on the information provided.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound scan required

Detailed Answer:

I've gone through your query in details and can understand your concerns.

You seem to be suffering from Endometriosis / Adenomyosis. This causes such severe pain as You described.

Please get an ultrasound scan to identify the same.

Please let me know if You need any more help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your response. I would also like to know:
1. If the ultrasound shows that it is Endometriosis/Adenomyosis, is it curable?
2. How would you treat such conditions?
3. Will I be able to have children if this condition is confirmed by an ultrasound?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can have children

Detailed Answer:

You can have children even with this condition. This is curable depending upon location and size of endometriosis.
Dr. Soumya

OBGYN