question-icon

What causes severe lethargy post intake of Fluoxetine?

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: I just started taking fluoxetine per my primary's recommendation, and my anger and frustration levels have decreased. However, I am now completely lethargic. I don't even get dressed in the morning, and I don't seem able to get involved in anything. This has come on suddenly. I am certain beyond a reasonable doubt that I have Altzamers (please excuse spelling). Any thoughts or suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question to HCM.

With any medication, there is often an adjustment period. However, if the medication is causing such side effects as you describe, it is imperative to discuss this with your doctor and consider changing dosage or medicine all together.

Also, if you are suspecting signs of Alzheimer dementia, it is very important to also bring this to the attention of your physician for full evaluation. There are medications which can be taken in the early stages of Alzheimer dementia which may mitigate the advancement of the disease.

Other conditions (such as cardiovascular disease) can sometimes present with changes similar to that observed in Alzheimer dementia. This certainly warrants further investigation with a good physical examination and possible adjunct testing.

I encourage you to bring these concerns to your doctor's attention immediately. Or, you may seek the advice of another physician for their assessment and opinion.

Sincerely,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist