• question-icon

What causes severe leg pain, vomiting and fever in a child?

Posted on Thu, 17 Mar 2016 in Child Health
Question: my six year old daughter woke up complaining of upper leg pain in both legs. Went to the dentist, had her teeth cleaned and she vomited on the way home. She then said she was very cold and weak, temp was 100.6 within an hour an a half her temp was up to 103. she says her legs still hurt so much she can't walk.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think she needs a visit to ER

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry to know your daughter is in pain.

At the outset, I don't think her current set of problem are related to her dental condition or the procedure done. It looks more like an infection has set in. This infection is more likely a virus.

In usual circumstances, I wouldn't be concerned. However the fact her legs are hurting and she is unable to walk is concerning. Sometimes viral infection may affect muscles and tissues badly and those needs to be treated at the earliest. Therefore I recommend a visit to ER.

In the meanwhile, if she has no more nausea / vomiting encourage her to drink plenty of fluids. Continue tylenol if the last dose was more than 4 hours ago.

Hope this information helps you to take up necessary actions. Keep me updated after the ER visit.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prasad