What causes severe leg pain and numbness on one side of the body?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi. My husband suffered a severe stroke 15 years ago. He has been a medical miracle. Continued to work as an attorney, and is just now beginning the retirement process. Lately tho, he is experiencing great pain in his left leg. His entire left side is without feeling, except for what I figure is neuopothy pain and or atrophy. He hasn't seen a neurologist in ten years. Have there been any advances in the treatment of this pain?
Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Such pain can be due to damage to the brain areas dealing with sensation, the thalamus, or can be due to the spasticity in the limbs. So the answer depends on the cause of the pain, without more information on the site of the damage and physical exam I can not differentiate between the two, should discuss it with the family doctor or neurologist.

In the first scenario I am afraid that there isn't much advancement, you have already used the most common option which is Gabapentin. A medication called Amitriptyline can also be tried for this purpose, it is not a new drug, has been around for decades, but it can be a valid alternative.

If the pain is due to spasticity then other options apart from those you mention to have tried other medications which can be tried are tizanidine, dantrolene or clonidine.
Injections of a substance called phenol or of botulinum toxin (Botox) are also one option for spasticity when medication fails. It depends on how extensive spasticity is though, more suitable when limited to a group of muscles.
One last method in recent years is transcranial magnetic stimulation, sending magnetic impulses through a device. It is a new method and needs more studying regarding benefits (but no side effects though, safe to try).

I remain at your disposal for other questions.