What causes severe leg pain after hip replacement?

Question
Hello DRGRIEF my name is XXXX I 've had several surgery's doing my life time and really none has given me any problem's until I had 3 surgery's that one was a reverse right hip replacement I have seen several Doctor's and taken all kind's of x-ray's ext. what was told to me is that I have back problem and that causes my right leg to hurt .I have several pain med's to take when needed I also have to do thing's for my self not just in the house I have to go places I have a walker walkincane and a scooder it hurt's to use any of them the pain is THAT BAD.I sat in mild tub's of water a lot that only help's while i am in it the pain start' back when i try's to get up and out of the tub it seem like a bad cramp or my upper leg is breaking a part up close to my butt and the pain the pain hurt's so bad that i scream and can't move for some min's the pain start's from my upper butt dot down to my ankle i can't just walk and turn on a dime at time's if i walk and stop i have to wait a few second before i can move again and it really hurt's to move that way i have to hold the upper part of my thigh real thigh to move as though i have something real tight around it to move any witch way it hurt's to sat walk stand for long time's bend even to lay down in one spot for long i have a pillow between my kneez's i can't never lay on my right side not sence i had the surgery's i keep a pillow for support under my legs i uses the bathroom a lot on my self trying to get out of the bed or from getting up from a chair i don't wait till the last min to go it takes time cause of the pain i take to even move my leg stay's cold i take shower's all the time cause some one has to get me up and out of the tub when i sat in to the tub to warm my leg of pain that seem the only way the pain will stop then i take something for the pain and it put's me to sleep for a while and it's back again i cry so much cause i really hurt's i don'ts have regular BM cause of the pain medication's i take every day this pain is so bad that that i want my leg cut off i hurt's to bad for no one to understand or realize how much pain i has and is in today i need some help from some one my surgares.stared in 2008 thou 2011 i been in and out of hospital's for the hip pain i don't need no pain med's i just want the pain to stop i want to stop HURTING i am 60 year's old like's to do thing around my house i have high blood pressure this is what i take every day.albuterol 2.5mg gabapentin 300mg hydrochlorohiazide 25 hydrocodone5-325 lisinpril 10mg naproxen 275mg bystolic 20mg nitroglycerin 0.4mg oxybutynin 5mg potassium chloride 10 meq Zoloft 50mg azithromycin 250mg gabapentin 300 monteluksat 19mg promethazine zantac 150mg sometime's hydrocodone 7.5-325 multivitamin-ca-iron 18-0.4mg iy weight is 126 5/4 bla femal dob 11/21 1953. XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

This is Dr. Gaurav Katiyar.
I have gone through your query and understood your concern about the pain in right leg. From the symptoms you have mentioned and x-rays you have done, It is sure that you have a back problem. You have some kind of nerve compression at your lumbar vertebra on the right side. There is may be some disc bulging, so when you try to stand up or put weight on your leg it hurts.

X-ray will show the disc compression but MRI of lumber spine is needed to see at what level nerve is compressing and to what extent.

Treatment will depend up on the grade of compression. Usually Grade I and II are conservatively managed with medicines, you have advised by your doctors like Gabapentine (Which you don't want to take) and Physiotherapy (PT). But in Grade III , surgery is required and lesion is decompressed.

I advise you to have a MRI after consulting your treating doctor and get in touch with me when results are out.
And one thing is that complication of your last surgery can not be ruled out and a nerve conduction test of right side leg will be required if MRI comes out to be alright.

Hope i have answered your query.

Wish you good health
Dr. G.Katiyar