question-icon

What causes severe leg cramps?

Posted on Mon, 15 Sep 2014
Question: 15 days ago I was on vacation in Hawaii, I woke up to a severe leg cramp in my right calf, I had another one 2 days later, then my calf was a little sore but I was fine, we flew home and I had another one that night, then I felt fine, now 8 days later I am having a lot of pain in the same calf, also having headaches, I am a 41 year old female
Answered by Dr. Rishi (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Increase fluid & elctrolyte intake &Color Doppler

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX. These cramps could be due to electrolyte imbalances so you should keep up your fluid and electrolytes intake. It could also be due to DVT or Deep vein thrombosis if you have travelled long distances by air. Do you have any swelling in the affected limb? If yes, then I would advice you to get a Color Doppler of the venous system of that limb. This will confirm or rule out the above. Its a painless investigation like an Ultrasound. Do let me know the reports so that further advice can be extended. Take care and look forward to hearing from you.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon