• question-icon

What causes severe left sided pain under the breasts?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am traveling and for a few weeks now i have had severe left side pain under my breast and it hurts to breathe or even take a deep breath without pain it also radiates to my back and center of chest i cant even lay on my left side
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Costochondritis and others as discussed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
The commonest cause I can think of with the history you have provided is costochondritis.
Another/added possibility is problem with the thoracic spine/disc/nerve root compression as there is referred pain.
Possibility of the fractured rib also should be borne in mind.
Shingles/Herpes zoster if there is redness, vesicles, scars along the course of the skin nerve.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Continue taking Brufen thrice daily.
Avoid any activity that instigate or enhance the pain.
If possible consult a Doctor so that a local examination will confirm the diagnosis and getting an X-ray of the chest for ribs to rule out fractures and MRI of the spine if indicated will help in confirmation of the diagnosis.
Application of the skin adhesive tape to the left sided chest in fully exhaled position helps to control the pain dramatically. (if applied correctly).
Further specific management depends upon the diagnosis made.
Short course of oral steroids if you are not diabetic helps in refractive cases.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication and please give feedback
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon