What causes severe left-sided pain on face, arm and leg?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi the last week I've been geting this so serve pain on the lelf side of my face and my eye closeers for 1 hour or so every day I had to come home today from work at 9am because off the pain my left arm and leg had num feeling and now my left side of my face is sore and my arm and shoulder sore
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

One possible explanation of your concerns is probably hemiplegic migraine headaches, a rare type of migraine headaches accompanied by neurologic symptoms that may mimic other neurologic conditions.

Orher possible explanations of your symptoms may be two different conditions ( cluster headaches that may explain your headaches and cervical ( neck ) disc disease that may explain your symptoms related to arm and leg ).

There is need for more information about your symptoms such:

- are headaches accompanied by nausea, eye redness, stuffed nose?

- are there any drugs or situations that relieve/ worsen your symptoms?

- any imaging studies done, or medical evaluation?

The cornerstone of diagnosing correctly your condition is to have first a neurologic examination, after that further steps about tests needed and treatment possibilities should be clear, so, I recommend you to consult a Neurologist.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj