• question-icon

What causes severe left knee pain?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am having extreme pain with lifting or bending my left knee. The pain is in the medial anterior lower leg. I have a new area of broken blood vessels (spider veins), it is tender to the touch but nothing like pain of trying to put on clothes or get in a car. I am pregnant and have had increased fatigue but just blamed it on the early stages of pregnancy. Should I go to the ER or wait and call my OB Monday?Symptoms originated this past Wednesday and have been slightly worse each day.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have some questions to ask

Detailed Answer:

I'd like to clarify which the painful area is first. Is it below the calf? Close to the joint between the shin and the foot?
Do you see abnormally (check the other leg) dilated veins? Is there any swelling? Do you have fever? (even low grade)
Any history of thrombophilia, autoimmune disorders or unwanted abortions?
Have you been taking any drugs during your pregnancy?

Please answer the above questions, so I can understand your situation better.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 9 minutes later
Current pain is distal to the anterior
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please read the complete answer

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the additional information!

I don't believe this is a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) - I guess that's what you're worried about - but I can't exclude it either. DVT is more common in pregnant women and it's too serious to ignore even with the slightest suspicion for it. If you can recall an injury or if you've walked too much then the pain in this area could have been justified. Bilateral swelling is against DVT but if you had swelling beforehand, this symptom is less useful. Severe pain is also very unusual with DVT. Sometimes there's no pain at all... Finally the negative Homans sign or the lack of fever do not exclude DVT.

So after taking all into account, I believe you should be seen by a doctor to try to identify the cause of pain and exclude DVT. A simple blood test may exclude it (negative d-dimers). I don't see any relation to your current treatment, so the pain has to be of musculoskeletal origin.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!

I hope
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis