question-icon

What causes severe kidney pain and polyuria?

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015
Question: I am 62 and male I have pain in both kidney areas going down to bladder mostly on left lower side I had constipation last week but is now normal..also urinating a lot with strong flow. Thank you
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Most probably urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted your history of pain in both Kidney areas going down the bladder more so on left; had constipation but now normal. Urinating a lot with strong flow.

May I please know if you have any additional symptoms like chills, fever, nausea, vomiting or bloating or any other problems?

Your history is most suggestive of urinary tract infection with or without stone/s.

I would advise in such a case the following:
First of all to send the urine sample in a sterile container for tests of routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity before the antibiotic is started to get a proper result.
Tests of blood including for sugar and kidney function tests.
Ultrasonography.
To get started on proper medications which may be an antibiotic, antispasmodic, and as required.
Take plenty of oral fluids.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early and proper diagnosis and treatment.
Please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon