What causes severe joint pain in the wrists and ankles while having eosinophilic gastroenteritis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Hey, I have severe joint pain in my wrists and ankles, it gets worse at night and my wrists make a grinding/cracking sound when moving them. I am a 20 year old female but have a auto immune disease called eosinophilic gastroenteritis
What could be causing this pain? It’s been happening over a year now and extremely worse when cold
Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly related to autoimmune disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

Well, eosinophilic gastroenteritis is autoimmune disease which may be associated or may trigger other autoimmune diseases including asthma or juvenile arthritis. Your symptoms are suggesting autoimmune poliarthritis with elements or Raynauds syndrome. This is common issue in young people and you should do some tests first to confirm the diagnosis. These include RF factor, anti ancta and anti DNA antibodies, and bone scintigraphy In many cases this is just temporary and milds antiinflammatory agents may be sufficient but sometimes stronger medications such as corticosteroids or azatioprin may be required. If this is not related to eosinophilic gastroenteritis then juvenile idiopathic arhritis may be present or this may be reaction to some infectious issue. In every, case if there is no improvement you should see immunologist for further evaluation. Wish you good health. Regards