What causes severe jerking movements in neck and head, and whole right arm including shoulders?
Several possibilities, tests are needed.
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
Judging from your description of the movements and the way they have spread I would say that those movements rather than a tremor would me more likely seizures. Seizures at this age do not generally come without a cause, there is some underlying brain lesion in many cases, like stroke or tumor. For that reason imaging tests such as MRI are necessary. In addition to that an EEG, a study of brain electrical activity is necessary to confirm whether there is indeed epileptiform activity.
Another possible nature of the movements would be chorea, a movement disorder which could also present with such localized spontaneous movements. Again in this case a cause has to be searched through brain imaging for brain lesions like stroke or tumors. So MRI remains absolutely necessary. I would also suggest given that mention of always having cold limbs some screening blood tests for connective tissue disorders like lupus, which may also be related to chorea (but perhaps such blood tests have already been done).
As for treatment that depends on the findings of the neurologist visit and the test results, since there are several possibilities can’t establish a definitive treatment. If movements are too disruptive and neurological consult takes too long perhaps clonazepam may be used till the appointment as it may help in reducing symptoms both in seizures as well as chorea.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes hives on the neck face and arms
- What causes involuntary arm movement
- What is the cause of pain in head and neck
- What causes blck heads on arms
- Pain in the arm and neck causes and treatment
- What causes severe pain in shoulder radiating down the arm
- What will cause red itchy bumps on breast stomach arms and neck
- What causes burning of the skin around the neck arms and back
- What causes severe pain in neck arms and thighs
- What causes itchy red colored head neck and arms