• question-icon

What causes severe itching with foul odor around the anal opening?

Posted on Thu, 18 May 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i feel a lot of liquid under my anal area which causes me to itch and it smells badly. Please provide me a long term solution
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
seems like pruritis ani.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.

All the symptoms you have mentioned suggestive of a clinical condition called "pruritis ani" ,however we have to rule out other condition before starting the treatment.
I suggest you to consult a general surgeon and get the following things done:-
(1)- A detailed per rectal examination and proctoscopy (visual examination of your anal cavity) to rule out conditions like hemorrhoids and anal fissures .
(2)- Many cases are caused by secondary to conditions like watery stools,pin worm infestation,and piles .If you have any of them ,treat the condition which cause irritation and mucus secretions around your anal area .Keep in mind that majority are idiopathic and thus no cause can be detected.
(3)- Keep good personal hygiene, the prime thing is that you have to keep the area clean and dry. You should clean the anal area with absorbant cotton and perianal cleansing preparations.
(4)- You can try stool softeners in case of constipation .
(5)- Hydrocortisone ointment applied for a brief period may relieve the symptoms in resistant cases.
(6)- antihistamines like cetrezine can be used to control itching.

You don't need to worry much because most cases respond well to conservative measures and complications are very rare .

Dr Shinas Hussain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 9 hours later
I think that liquid is sweat. which causes smell and itching, as i feel the liquid only when my day is complete.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
wetness/sweating around anus exacerbates the symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

Wetness/sweating around the anus exacerbates the symptoms of prurits ani.
Excessive moisture is fairly common among patients suffering from pruritis ani. It is caused by over activity of sweat glands around the anus or excessive mucus in feces.
you have to keep the perianal area clean and dry. Clean the area with a disposable absorbent wipes frequently especially at the end of the day. Do not scratch the area.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 37 hours later
once a doctor told me to put onabet b ointment or candid b ointment over the anal area.. and clean that area regulary. Is it sufficient?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will provide symptomatic relief.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up.

Onabet-B and candid B are topical antifungals which also contain topical steroid beclomethasone (B stands for beclomethasone).

Steroid ointments provide symptomatic relief in pruritis ani. You can use plain steroid creams instead of antifungal plus steroids for better results.

Apply Beclomethasone creams twice daily for better results.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Shinas Hussain