What causes severe itching throughout the body?

Dr. R.G. Joshi

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 1 Feb 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Several months ago I started itching all over my body. Within a day or two my boyfriend also started itching. When I first itch it does not appear as anything. Upon closer look it will be a very small bump/blister with no coloration that will itch until I've scratched it so hard that it bleeds a small amount. My bumps/itching seem to appear all over my body but my boyfriend's are more concentrated to his wrist and upper thigh area. The itching also seems to bother me most in the hot shower. I'm stumped. It's not scabies, does not appear to be a fungal infection, and doesn't have any of the markings of bedbugs. Please help, the itching is driving us nuts. I'm really hoping this isn't contagious
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably dermatitis herpetiformis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, thanks for writing to healthcare magic.I can understand your concern.

In my opinion ,severe itching since months probably point towards chronic papulovesicular disease most probably dermatitis hepetiformis.

It occurs due to gluten sensitivity.Foods containing gluten such as wheat,rye,barley etc are probable cause of disease.

However exact diagnosis can be done only after biopsy for which you may need to consult a dermatologist.

I hope this will help you.In case of any concern ,I will be happy to help you.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. R.G. Joshi 4 hours later
Ive actually looked into dermatitis herpataformis, and if it were only me itching id agree. But my boyfriend also stsrted to itch within 48 hours of onset making me believe this is something we've both been infected by or exposed to. Ill add thst im an emergency trauma nurse who is exposed yo anything you could possibly think of on a day to day basis
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Exposure allergy probably.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, sorry for late reply.I was busy in clinics.

Since both of you are affected ,probable cause is allergic reactions.It can be allergy to any chemicals or antiseptic used in ward. Vaccines,dressing materials,spirit allergy or formaldehyde used for fumigation can also be cause for itching.

A course of antihistaminics and oral steroids in tappering dose will be required .

I hope this will help you.