What causes severe itching on the testicles?

Excellent

Question
Hi Doctor, The area below my testicles itch a lot. I applied all kind of skin ointment but nothing seems to be working. I also did take antibiotics for it but no improvement at all. Can you please tell me why this happens.

FYI: I keep myself very today.
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There can be many reasons

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There can be many causes of itchy skin. Most common is allergy, eczema and fungal infection.
Antibiotics act on bacteria and will have no effect on itchy skin. Other way round, if antibiotics are not working, then its not an infection.

I will recommend the following:
- Keep the area dry.
- Avoid synthetic clothes
- Apply vaseline. If it gets too itchy then you can apply cortisone 1% cream 1-2 times a day for not more than 10 days at a stretch
- No need to apply or take antibiotics for this. In fact antibiotics can make it worse
- Dietary changes like low sugar foods and cleaner drinking water will help

If possible, please upload a photo of the rash for diagnosis. Also let me know details of the symptoms like duration, how it started, what it looks like, etc. Or you can get examined by a dermatologist.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: What causes severe itching on the testicles? 42 minutes later
thank you so much for ur reply doctor. I wouldn't be able to click a pic of it since it exactly between my testicles and the anus area. As requested, the duration of the itchiness last for about a few minutes and after I itch, it burns and goes away. it becomes reddish and swells after itching. I really don't know how this started but started around 2 months ago. I am sorry to be asking online and not visiting a doctor as I feel embarrassed showing someone here.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably allergy or lichen

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Its most probably an allergy or lichen. Best treatment is to avoid itching. Steroidal preparation like hydrocortisone (cortisone) or any other steroidal preparation available over the counter will be helpful in controlling the itch, redness and swelling. It is to be used only when itching is there. Diaper rash creams like Penaten can also be tried if steroidal preparations are not available over the counter.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What causes severe itching on the testicles? 5 hours later
Thank you so much Doctor Vaishalee, I will surely keep you informed about the progress.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting me online.

Dr Vaishalee