• question-icon

What causes severe itching on the elbow?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,

I feel too much itching on the upper part of skin of my elbow. I have attached the pic.

Please suggest the medicine.

Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Topical steroid and oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image.
I can see a red, dry/ rough appearing patch on your arm. It is eczematitis dermatitits.
I suggest you to apply a potent topical steroid e.g Clobetasol propionate 0.05% (Tenovate cream). It is a prescription topical steroid.
In addition you may also take an oral antihistamine once daily in evening e.g tab. Teczine 5mg for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist