• question-icon

What causes severe itching on the body while treating vaginal bacterial infection?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi for the past week I have had a vaginal bacterial infection for which I used metro gel. Just finished my last dose yesterday. However, along with the infection my body was itching all over and when I scratch I will get hives on my legs and arms. I went to the ER yesterday for the itching and nausea and they gave hydrocortisone and Puritin. It eased but today I started itching again and now I have very bad itching inside my chest cavity and inside my ear. The doctors did a CBC' LFT and a renal test and all came back fine. I do have lupus but this itching is intense. Just developed a nasty cough also today. Why would all my test say fine when I feel so badly?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The symptoms that you have are likely to be due to allergy. The normal blood reports suggest that there is nothing abnormal with liver and kidney. This has ruled out any serious cause for this itching. You need to continue with hydrocortisone and puritin and try to detect any allergen around you to avoid it. The cough can also be related to allergy and dryness of the throat. Oral lozenges and increasing the fluid intake will help.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 hours later
Why would I have gotten the bacterial infection? I don't believe that this is also an allergic reaction - is it? This morning my bacterial infection discharge has increased despite completing the metro gel treatment. My chest cavity area is now hurting... no longer itching.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a mixed vaginal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Bacterial infection can be sexually transmitted. in case the discharge is persistent then do consult your gynecologist for vaginal swab culture for specific treatment. The pain in the chest area can be a bone or muscle pain. Direct examination is needed for proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN